Name: ROGER, OVER 70
· When did you first begin to realise coronavirus was something out of the ordinary? EARLY MARCH 2020
· When did it first impact you in a significant way? MID-MARCH 2020,
- In what way ? THE CLOSURE OF LAMBERHURST AND MATFIELD CHURCHES, WHERE I AM A PRIEST, AND, A FEW DAYS LATER THE CLOSURE OF THE OFFICE OF PADDOCK WOOD COMMUNITY ADVICE CENTRE, WHERE I AM A VOLUNTEER ADVISER. THIS MEANT A SWITCH TO WORKING FROM HOME - CREATING ONLINE CHURCH SERVICES, KEEPING IN TOUCH WITH PARISHIONERS BY PHONE IN PLACE OF VISITING, ADVISING CLIENTS BY PHONE AND EMAIL INSTEAD OF FACE TO FACE ETC.
· How worried did you become and why? QUITE WORRIED.
- FOR THE MENTAL HEALTH OF THOSE "FORCED" TO ISOLATE, AND THOSE STUCK INDOORS FOR MOST OF THE DAY, BECAUSE OF THE LOCKDOWN, AND HAVING TO COPE WITH/ENTERTAIN A YOUNG FAMILY.
- FOR THOSE REQUIRING ROUTINE MEDICAL TREATMENT WHO FACED LONG DELAYS AS PRIORITY WAS GIVEN COVID 19
- FOR THE ECONOMY
· Are you still worried and why ? YES, FOR THE SAME REASONS AS ABOVE. BUT A LITTLE LESS WORRIED AS RESTRICTIONS LOOSEN.
· What were the biggest problems coping with lockdown ? NOT BEING ABLE TO SEE (OTHER THAN ON A COMPUTER SCREEN) FRIENDS AND FAMILY, ADVICE CENTRE CLIENTS AND PARISHIONERS.
NOT BEING ABLE TO WORSHIP IN OUR CHURCHES
· How did you manage ? RECOGNISING THAT I NEEDED TO MAKE THE MOST OF IT. HAVING PLENTY TO DO, A LARGE GARDEN, AND DOGS TO WALK HELPED. AND A RECOGNITION THAT THERE WERE/ARE MANY PEOPLE FAR WORSE OFF THAN ME HERE AND OVERSEAS.
· Were there times when you despaired ? NO
· What kept you (keeps you) going ? CHRISTIAN FAITH. CLOSE FAMILY. THE PHONE AND ZOOM ETC....AND PLENTY OF THINGS TO FILL MY DAYS
· What was your lowest moment ? WHEN OTHER PRIESTS WERE ALLOWED TO ACCESS THEIR CHURCH ON THEIR OWN, BEING EXCLUDED ON GROUNDS OF AGE (OVER 70)
11. What was your best/funniest memory ? BEST WAS AS THINGS BEGAN TO LOOSEN, HAVING A FRIEND COME FOR TEA IN THE GARDEN.
12. Do you think the government handled/is handling the crisis satisfactorily? EASY TO CRITICISE - WHO WOULD WANT TO BE IN THEIR SHOES? BUT PERHAPS SATISFACTORY IS THE BEST MARK I WOULD GIVE
13. Please add anything else of your experiences during the pandemic.
14. Were you also affected by flooding on the night of February 9?
NO - BUT IT WAS A CLOSE-RUN THING
15. How have you coped with both problems?
NOTHING TO ADD TO ABOVE
16. Please add anything else of your experiences during the
THE FRUSTRATION OF KCC HIGHWAYS MAKING NO EFFORT TO CLEAN
OUT DRAINS WHICH HAD BEEN BLOCKED FOR MONTHS - AND WHICH THEY HAD KNOWN ABOUT
FOR MONTHS. AS A RESULT THE ROAD BY OUR
HOUSE WAS SHUT TWICE BECAUSE OF FLOODING